The Bhagavad Gita: one of three new editions of the books in Eknath Easwaran’s Classics of Indian Spirituality series
“On this path, effort never goes to waste, and there is no failure. Even a little effort towards spiritual awareness will protect you from the greatest fear.”
– Bhagavad Gita (2:40)
The Bhagavad Gita, the “Song of the Lord,” is India’s best-known scripture. For Easwaran, it was a personal guidebook, as it was for Mahatma Gandhi.
The Bhagavad Gita opens, dramatically, on a battlefield. Prince Arjuna is on the brink of an apocalyptic war that he doesn’t want to fight – and he turns in anguish to his spiritual guide, Sri Krishna, for answers to the fundamental questions of life.
Arjuna’s struggle is profoundly modern. Easwaran’s genius is to show us that “the battlefield is a perfect backdrop, but the Gita’s subject is the war within, the struggle for self-mastery that every human being must wage.” And Sri Krishna’s sublime instruction, on living and dying, working and loving, on the nature of the soul, is as relevant to readers today as it was at the dawn of Indian history.
- Easwaran’s translation is accurate and accessible. Raised in the Hindu culture, he studied Sanskrit from a young age and later developed a deep love of English literature. He highlights the Gita’s key messages and conveys the haunting beauty of the verses. And readers will appreciate Easwaran’s authenticity – he lived the Gita.
- Easwaran’s introduction gives the key to the Gita’s timeless wisdom. Combining erudition with a contagious personal enthusiasm, Easwaran places the Gita in its historical context, gives a clear explanation of fundamental concepts, and brings out the universality of the Gita’s teachings.
- Includes chapter introductions, notes, and a Sanskrit glossary.
- This new edition contains a new foreword, two-color easy-to-read interior, and elegant new cover.
- Foreword: The Classics of Indian Spirituality
Introduction: The Bhagavad Gita
1: The War Within
3: Selfless Service
4: Wisdom in Action
5: Renounce & Rejoice
6: The Practice of Meditation
7: Wisdom from Realization
8: The Eternal Godhead
9: The Royal Path
10: Divine Splendor
11: The Cosmic Vision
12: The Way of Love
13: The Field & the Knower
14: The Forces of Evolution
15: The Supreme Self
16: Two Paths
17: The Power of Faith
18: Freedom & Renunciation